Write On Mexborough!
A Free Creative Writing group for the Don & Dearne Valleys
Are you a budding writer — a novelist, poet, scriptwriter, or a writer of short-stories? Then why not join Write On Mexborough!, a creative writing group that aims to develop the talents of aspirant writers of all ages and stages of development — from complete beginners to already published authors?
About Write On Mexborough!
- The group will meet on Wednesdays, 7pm – 8.50pm, at Mexborough Business Centre, College Road, Mexborough, S64 9JP, from September 2017 to March 2018. Tea and coffee will be provided.
- The workshops will alternate between poetry and prose. The first workshop – poetry, with tutor Ralph Dartford, will be on Wednesday 27th September. The second workshop, prose, with tutor Simon Crump, will be on Wednesday 4th October.
- Workshops will then alternate until the full programme – 12 sessions of poetry and 12 session of prose — is complete.
- Participants may choose to attend just the poetry workshops, or just the prose workshops; alternatively, they may wish to join both and attend all sessions.
- Workshops will include masterclasses by invited authors and creative writing sessions in which participants will read and perform their work to their peers and give and receive constructive criticism and feedback.
- The course will culminate in the publication of an anthology of participants’ work which will be launched at a public reading — at which participants will perform their work — at the Ted Hughes Poetry Festival in the summer of 2018.
How to join:
Email email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name, address (including postcode) and a telephone contact number.
- A paragraph or so about your writing experience and ambitions. Are you a complete beginner? Do you write, but keep your work to yourself? Have you ever shared your work? Have you ever had anything published? What ambitions do you have for your writing — do you hope to be published? Or do you write simply to satisfy yourself?
- Indicate whether you’d like to participate in the poetry workshops, the prose workshops, or both.
About the tutors
Simon Crump is the author of several novels and short story collections, including My Elvis Blackout, Neverland and Monkey’s Birthday. He has been a tutor for the WEA and is Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing at the University of Huddersfield.
Ralph Dartford is the author of several poetry publications, including Cigarettes, Beer & Love and Swoon (with the Bleeding Obvious). He is founder of the acclaimed spoken word collective A Firm of Poets and is an expert poetry and performance tutor.